BME strives to become the leading driver of sustainability in the building sector by further aligning our business strategy and operations to the major trends that are influencing our key markets. BME strives to become the leading driver of sustainability in the building sector by further aligning our business strategy and operations to the major trends that are influencing our key markets. Integrating strong Environmental, Social and Governance (‘ESG’) priorities in our strategic pillars and in our enablers. Ultimately, we expect this to result in long term value creation for our stakeholders based on three focus areas:
Sustainability at BME
1. GROWING RESPONSIBLY
We accelerate responsible business practices in our sector and across our value chain, thanks to our increasing scale, which allows us to grow profitably. This puts us in a position to drive sustainability in our own company as well as in the world around us. Internally, we focus on reduction of our environmental footprint by eliminating carbon emissions and waste in our controlled operations. Externally, we influence other key stakeholders (customers, suppliers and competitors) to focus on improving the sustainability of their businesses by leading by example, and acting in a responsible and ethical manner.
2. ENABLING A SUSTAINABLE VALUE CHAIN
We contribute to more affordable, comfortable, and sustainable housing by sharing our deep knowledge on innovative building practices and the use of sustainable products, inspiring others to do the same. This leads to the creation of a more sustainable value chain from suppliers to end-users which will ultimately drive the transition towards a more sustainable building sector.
We achieve this by:
- Working with suppliers who share the same values to adopt and uphold sustainable norms and practices in our value chain;
- Supporting suppliers by creating transparency on the environmental footprint and impact of building products, enabling them to improve the sustainability of their products;
- Supporting customers to build in more sustainable ways, by (1) offering a relevant and broad range of sustainable products, (2) advising customers on how to build in a more sustainable way, with a lower environmental footprint.
3. SECURING A GREAT, FLEXIBLE AND SAFE PLACE TO WORK
We create an inspiring and safe place to work and aim for a positive employee journey for our more than 14,000 employees. With the ambition to become an industry leader in terms of employee engagement and have zero work accidents, we ensure a healthy, diverse and inclusive work environment. Employees can develop themselves and work with passion, delivering the best experience for our customers and suppliers every day.
OUR VALUE CREATION MODEL
Below you will find our Value Creation Model, aligning these focus areas with the global Sustainable Development Goals (‘SDGs’). In the second chapter of our Sustainability Report we will take you through our strategy and approach to ESG, and the results we have achieved so far.